Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Getting older

You know you are getting old(er) when everyone annoys you. Last night we went to see Beck at a last minute show. The show itself was awesome. Beck is incredible, and the band in costume was quite a spectacle. I think I should take dance lessons from his percussionist. It was a very intimate performance at the Loft.

I may have been in a little bit of a sour mood because I had been dealing with kids hyped up on sugar and network crashes at work all day, or because I only slept 4 hours the night before, or because I couldn't decide on a last minute Halloween costume, or because I had heartburn, or because I put 130 miles on my car in one day. Regardless, Halloween wasn't a night for freaks, it was a night for obnoxious losers. From the giant buffoon who kept gyrating closer and closer to my personal space, to the drunk girl cigarette arsonist, to the high school seniors who maybe knew one Beck song, to the guy with the giant head on a pole that kept blocking my view of the stage and his annoying woman who kept pushing her way through the crowd and continuously bringing a plethora of strangers in front from the back...the concert became annoying.

Lately, I have been avoiding the front area of the stage like the plague. I think the music is getting louder. Feeling half deaf out of your left ear is not a pleasing symptom when you are trying to lead discussions. The constant ringing that follows a show must mean I am doing permanent damage. The problem is that, from anywhere far away I can't see, and I am disturbed by show talkers.

Some of the same things happened at the Yeah Yeah Yeah's show. Am I getting old, am I uncool? I've been going to shows for 10 years, and lately, I am beginning to dread aspects of them.

I think I will compile etiquette guidelines for shows. Any ideas?
1. Do not request cover songs at the top of your lungs, especially Skynard or Bon Jovi. You are not funny.

2. If you must smoke, do not exhale smoke anywhere but directly up, and do not dance. I have not need for cancer, smelly clothing or burns.

3. Do not talk over the band. I understand some discussion is required and entertaining among friends, but the best way to hear someone in a loud room is a quiet voice directed into that person's ear. I am here to hear the band, not your drunk slurs.

4. Shower, for god sakes shower, and nasty perfume/cologne does not equal a shower.

5. Do not touch someone you do not know. I don't care if you accientally touch me, the proper response is not to kiss me on the head and appologize, or to grab my arm, call me honey and appologize, or repeat "do you hate me, you hate me, don't you?" Find personal space if you must rave or grind. I understand it is crowded, but if you bump someone, MOVE or STOP!

To be continued...

4 comments:

Nick said...

WTF - How did you hear about this Beck concert? I am so jealous.

Nick said...

And I agree with you that concerts are way too loud.

c.i.r. said...

Kelly heard about it at work. It was great, I'll give you the heads up next time. I'll have to share my concert calendar with you.

m.d. said...

i had an interesting halloween experience as well,c.i.r. will try and post about it soon.