Wednesday, January 31, 2007

winding down

With swim season coming to a close, I can almost taste the delicious bite of afternoon naps again. Its been a long four months, but as of February 10th, I will be done with coaching. It's sad because I actually enjoy the coaching aspect of my job, and those interactions with the kids, more than the discipline and the grading of teaching.


Now for the real reason for this post:

If you get a chance you must see Pan's Labyrinth. It was so good. I think I will have to see it again. It truly is a fairy tale, drenched in sadness, and mystery...full of magic, heroes, villains, mischievous characters and more. It is a beautiful film, and like always, after the first few minutes you don't even notice the subtitles. The movie, to warn you, is no children's movie. My eyes were covered and shielded by Kelly's shoulder for a good 10% of the film. I think I like it because it takes the beauty of Spanish, the magical realism twist of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, the Horror of Grimm's, the Tragedy of Hans Christian Anderson, and the mystery of a labyrinth, and the innocence of a child and wraps it up into a package of wonderment.

Lately, I have been cooking a lot more. It is really nice to cook. It is so therapeutic, and there is an immediate sense of completion and gratification. Not only does it save money, but it allows for artistic expression, and dietary control. Like everything else though, it makes me wish there were more hours in the day.

Oh, there is so much new music to listen to!

2 comments:

DL said...

I saw Pan's Labyrinth at the Midtown Arts Cinema and it was ridiculous. The violence was completely justified because it had to be extreme enough to make her want to escape to a whole different world.

Oh, and the guy who played the Fawn and the Pale Man with eyes on his hands was there and talked about the movie beforehand (no pun intended.) Pretty sweet!

m.d. said...

my blog is worth hanging on to just so i may comment on yours. wonderful post, awesome possum. i am seeing that movie tomorrow.

XO